History Nitschke's and Northern Resort
Gus Nolan arrived in Minocqua from Canada in 1887 and worked as a surveyor and timber cruiser before building the resort. He established the Northern Resort in 1900 on 10 acres of land which included more than 1,200 feet of Lake Minocqua shoreline. By 1924 the hotel accommodated 100 guests. There were also six cabins, a dance hall, and other outbuildings on the property by then.
The original Northern Resort was a fine example of early Wisconsin tourist accommodations. The neatness of the grounds and buildings was known for miles around. Its location and easy access to the lake from buildings made it one of the most valuable pieces of property on Lake Minocqua.
The original lodge of the Northern Resort was demolished in 1992. A few of the older cottages still stood including the kitchen-help cottage that was nearest the trail. Progress had caught up to old resorts like the Northern Resort, as visitors demanded more luxury. Modern cottages were constructed to replace the grand old lodge. The photographs pictured above were actually 1950s postcards that documented the new cottages and confirmed the popularitty of the early resort. These were also found in a basement.
In 2002 The Northern Resort was purchased by Rich and Brigit Nitschke, a native Wisconsin family. The Nitschke's have continued offering the old traditional Wisconsin vacations. They have already begun updating the existing cottages with new carpet, fireplaces, and have plans to add several (5) more cottages this summer. Now known as Nitschke's Northern Resort the tradition continues and promises to only get better under their management.